FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (WDVM) — Fairfax County’s Commonwealth Attorney Steve Descano announced that his office will no longer seek cash bail.
Descano said in a video posted on Twitter that cash bail is “racially biased” and promotes disparities between the rich and poor in the criminal justice system.
The attorney said that his office will instead pair individuals with services so that they can go home, but ensure they appear for their trial date.
He is calling upon the general assembly to abolish the cash-bail system.
“All it does is create a two-tiered system of justice, one for rich people and one for everybody else. Unfortunately, black and brown Virginians bare the brunt of that injustice,” said Descano in the video.
Descano released his full plan detailing a “workable solution” on his website.
- Trump Mar-a-Lago raid: What’s the Presidential Records Act?
- 100+ Back-to-school deals and must-haves
- Tarik Phillip signs with UK’s London Lions
- Slow that roll! A Virginia State Police trooper clocked a driver doing 152 mph in a 55 zone.
- Tractor trailer carrying watermelons crashes with box truck, causes ‘large debris field’ on I-95