WASHINGTON (DC News Now) – The Metropolitan Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division is leading the investigation into Saturday’s deadly shooting, in Northeast, involving two U.S. Park Police officers.

According to DC News Now’s Dave Leval, a grieving woman cried out for her 17-year-old son following the shooting.

MPD has confirmed that the victim was 17-year-old Dalaneo Martin, of Northwest, D.C.

Picture provided by family to DC news reporter Dave Leval

The officers, according to the agency’s spokesperson, responded around 8:50 a.m. at 34th Street and Baker Street for a report of a stolen car. They had been at nearby River Terrace Park, which is part of the national park system.

“Officers on scene attempted to detain the male driver,” said Sgt. Thomas Twiname.

The unidentified driver drove away from the officers.

“The U.S. Park Police Officer was trapped in the vehicle, and was unable to get out of the car,” said Twiname. “The United States Park Police sergeant was dragged by the vehicle as it fled the scene.”

That’s when the officer, inside the car, took action.

“A firearm was discharged by the officer,” said Twiname. “Officers rendered aid immediately. A male was pronounced deceased on scene.”

The pursuit ended when the SUV crashed into a house along 36th Street near the corner of Kenilworth Avenue.

Twiname said officers found another gun in the car.

Those who knew Dalaneo had plenty to say.

“He was loved by his siblings. He was a brother, he was a father. He was someone’s child,” said Makia Green a friend of the family.

She and others are among those demanding more information about what happened.

“Just know this community is no less safer, no more safer because a 17-year-old is gone,” said NeeNee Taylor.

“He deserved an opportunity to live,” Green said. “Right now, the family has to go through something that no one can ever prepare for.”

Investigators said people were in the house when the stolen car slammed into it. No one was injured.

Body camera footage of what happened inside the car is also being reviewed.

Both officers involved suffered non-life-threatening injuries.