UPDATE 10:17 p.m. — Police said that they have recovered “multiple firearms and a large quantity of ammo” from the suspect’s fifth-floor apartment where he was found dead.

Police found the sniper-type setup in this apartment, where Chief Robert Contee said that the shooter was firing at random.

“His intent was to kill,” Contee said.


UPDATE 9:51 p.m. — The shelter in place has been lifted, and road closures are being lifted as well.

Officials said to expect traffic delays.


UPDATE 9:39 p.m. — Police confirmed that the suspect is dead. They said they believe he took his own life as police were entering the apartment.

They did not confirm the identity of this suspect, but they said that they are no longer searching for their previous person of interest, 23-year-old Raymond Spencer.

The man who was shot was a retired member of the Metropolitan Police Department.

“People were unnecessarily shot in our community as a result of a senseless act of violence,” MPD Chief Robert Contee said during a conference.

Police are still working to verify whether or not the suspect streamed the shooting live or recorded and posted video. They do say that video that has been circulating social media does appear to be authentic.

They confirmed that this individual had a sniper setup. They said that it appears that the suspect was shooting randomly and had no specific target.


UPDATE 9:31 p.m. — Sources are saying that the suspect in the Van Ness shooting is dead.

Police are expected to give an update shortly. Stay with WDVM for updates.


UPDATE 8:37 p.m. — D.C. police have identified 23-year-old Raymond Spencer of Fairfax, Virginia as a person of interest in Friday afternoon’s shooting.

They said that the two adults were one man and one woman. The girl was revealed to be 12 years old. All are still in stable condition. A fourth woman in her 60’s was also injured with a gunshot graze.

Students from Edmond Burke School who had been in lockdown have started to reunite with their families.


UPDATE 5:44 p.m. — Police said that the three victims have all been transported to area hospitals and are in stable conditions. The two adults are critical, while the girl has a minor gunshot wound.

The Metropolitan Police Department said that they first responded to the area around 3:20 p.m.

The area remains locked down as they continue to search for suspects. Several people who were running from the scene were detained, but police said that they do not believe that any of these individuals are the suspect.

The shooting was in the area of Edmund Burke School and the University of D.C.’s Van Ness campus.

Police stated that video on Twitter that is circulating that some claim to have been shared or streamed by the shooter, but they have not yet verified whether or not this video is in relation to this incident.

More videos on the site show shots being fired and victims being rescued.

The FBI, ATF and Secret Services are assisting in the response.


WASHINGTON (WDVM) — D.C. residents in the Cleveland Park and Van Ness area are asked to shelter in place after the report of a shooting with at least three victims.

Police first arrived around the area of the 4100 block of Connecticut Avenue, NW before moving to the 2900 block of Van Ness Street, NW.

They said that the victims are two men and one girl whose exact age is currently unknown. All of the victims are in hospitals being treated at this time. Police said that they believe that they will survive, and all of the victims are in stable condition.

The following roads are closed until further notice:

  • Connecticut Ave. NW between Sedgwick Street and Yuma Street NW
  • Tilden Street between Reno Road and 29th Street NW
  • Van Ness St at Connecticut Ave NW

Police have set up a site to meet up with family at Cleveland Park Library at 3310 Connecticut Avenue, NW.

Officials are still working to verify more information about this incident. Anyone with any information is asked to call police at (202) 727-9099 or text 50411.